Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Sundays


I'm a nostalgic girl for sure, but I confess with a certain amount of confusion that for the past few months I have been ob-frikking-sessed with Reading, Writing & Arithmetic. This is the 1990 debut album from The Sundays of course, led by one Miss Harriet Wheeler. Look at her in this picture...so kyewt in her little jeans, her slightly bouffant updo and wispy bangs. I truly believe she LAID IT DOWN for crooning alterna girls everywhere with her lilting, pouty, acrobatic girly voice.

Listening to it today takes me right back to high school; my first love, driving the old station wagon, smoking cigarettes, my worn in docs, hating President Bush, writing poetry. Half the time I can't really understand what she's saying, but singing along to emotionally charged lines like the last one in "You're Not the Only One I Know" - it's that little souvenir of a colorful year which makes me smile inside / so I cynically, cynically say the world is that way / surprise, surprise, surprise, surprise, surprise" still feels so right. Yeah! The world is that way. Surprise, fucking surprise.

The whole album is flawless. I can't say the same for their sophmore effort, Blind.

I found this kooky article by John Polewach at Stylus magazine. His points are debatable (his thesis involves contrast of The Sundays' "Can't Be Sure" and "I Kicked a Boy" with The Smiths' "Hand In Glove" and "Handsome Devil") but I love the fact that the dialogue's even happening. Cuz it's crazy.

I wish Reading, Writing & Arithmetic had like twenty six more tracks.

I miss you, Harriet! I hope your life is great....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Admittedly, "Blind" is a major letdown. But their third album, "Static and Silence", is an absolute masterpiece- superior in many respects to their debut.

Don't hold the album's overly cutesy "Summertime" track against them. The song "Leave This City" is one of the most achingly poignant songs of the past decade, and if you haven't yet heard it, go to iTunes and buy it. Other highlights include "Monochrome" and "When I'm Thinking About You".

What are you waiting for? Trust the opinions of some random anonymous Sundays fan and GET IT.