Friday, October 16, 2009

Thonet Child's Chair

My mom picked up a '60s era Thonet chair for Bodhi this week. He's been needing a chair -- he's always leaning against the coffee table, poor little guy -- and I'd been shopping around the internet. Choices these days are not so cute. But, Thonet, the German company responsible for the chair-of-chairs 214 chair (celebrating its 150th birthday this year and of which Corbusier said, "never was a better and more elegant design and a more precisely crafted and practical item created") and many others, has been making children's chairs since they began bending wood back in the early 1800s.


The chair he has is one of these...

So cute!

But check this beauty out (for the nursery of my dreams):

I have always loved desk and chair sets for kids. Mmm.

Thonet. Think about it.

Oh, and it's pronouced TONE-ET. Hard Ts. (I didn't know that until today...).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your picture of the Thonet child's table and chair set. Do you know anything about the age or value? I have one made of oak, or at least the table top is oak, but your picture is the only thing I have been able to find about the set.

Anonymous said...

Your own гepoгt feаtuгеs еѕtаblіѕheԁ uѕeful tο me pеrsonally.
Ιt’s quіte helpful anԁ you're clearly quite experienced in this region. You get exposed our eye to different opinion of this kind of matter together with intriguing and strong content material.

Take a look at my web site; wikicookrecipe.com
My website :: Xanax